Gluten Free Cannelloni Recipe
Lots of people still long for pasta dishes despite following a gluten free diet – this gluten free cannelloni recipe fits the bill perfectly. It’s a recipe that uses a ragu (which can be pre-cooked and used in a lot of dishes) and doubles as a great vehicle for a boat-load of vegetables.
- Tomatoes (fresh and tinned)
- Ground beef
- Cream cheese
- Cheddar cheese (missing from pic)
- Peas (missing from pic)
- Fry the chorizo to release its oil – this is the fat used for cooking.
- Chop the fresh tomatoes and add to pan.
- Grate the carrot and onion in a blender then add to the pan.
- Add beef, and when it’s brown add the chopped tomatoes and a pint of beef stock.
- Add spinach, peas and bring to a simmer to reduce the liquid.
- As the ragu is simmering, take the leek and trim the top, leaving a length of leek wide just long enough to fit in cooking dish width-ways.
- Split the leek with a single slice, keeping it cylindrical and fill with the ragu.
- When the leek have been filled with ragu, stack them widthways in the dish. Add a little of the remaining liquid from the ragu to the dish to prevent the leeks drying out.
- Top the leek with a mixture of cream cheese and grated cheddar and bake. I baked mine for 20 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius, keeping an eye on it so the cheese didn’t burn.
The finished gluten free cannelloni….
As I mentioned at the start, I used the grater setting on my blender to save time. I use a Philips HR7761/01 Viva Food Processor which has plenty of helpful settings to save time in the kitchen.
Gluten-free cooking doesn’t have to mean you have to avoid your favourite meals, you just have to be a bit more creative, as this gluten free cannelloni recipe proves! Besides, the health benefits from going gluten free far outweigh the taste of grain products!