When it first gained traction, the Keto diet was once perceived as a fad that was soon going to bid farewell, just like any other health fad that had passed. But today, skeptics of the Keto diet are proven wrong as the practice stayed, and will likely continue to be even more in-demand. Especially when coupled with exercise, the Keto diet has been successful in changing the lives of many through weight loss.
The Keto diet first began as a disease-specific meal plan. Recently, however, it gave birth to low-carb weight loss. In the Keto diet, sugar is cut down to the lowest possible level so that you can lose weight faster.
Supplementation on the Keto diet can help when exercising. Keep reading for answers to some of your most common questions regarding exercising and supplementation while on the Keto diet.
Is Exercising While On The Keto Diet Safe? Yes.
One of the most commonly asked questions while on the Keto diet is whether or not it’s safe to accompany it with exercise and supplements such as whey protein. Yes, it is safe. Just because you’re on a low-carb diet doesn’t mean that you can’t or shouldn’t exercise. Exercising is still, in fact, one of the best ways to stay in shape, keeping away heart and lifestyle diseases.
But because you’re already on a low-carb diet, this means that you have to exercise with caution. Excellent pointers to keep in mind are the following:
- Be careful about the types of exercise you’re going to do. As much as possible, don’t go for the ones that are too strenuous.
- Keep the frequency to a lower intensity.
- Speak with a doctor or a professional trainer regarding the best types of exercise to stay safe.
- Read Keto diet reviews by experts, such as this review by KetoWatt.com.
How Long Can Exercise And The Keto Diet Be Paired Up? It Depends.
Experts have yet to come up with a hard-and-fast rule when it comes to the issue of how long you can exercise while on the Keto diet. The answer depends on several factors. If you wish to exercise and stay on a Keto diet for the long term, always do so with the help of a health professional. If you don’t intend to see one, then it might be best to stay away from this combination for too long.
Every person reacts differently to the combination of a Keto diet, supplementation, and exercise. But this isn’t always the best to do long-term for the following reasons:
- It’s not easy to keep up with.
- Your meal choices are going to be too limited.
- You might get bored.
What Exercises Work Well With The Keto Diet?
To stay safe and to enjoy its maximum benefits, it’s also important to note that not all exercises are going to go well with the Keto diet. Health experts recommend limiting yourself only to the following exercises:
- Low-intensity cardio workouts, such as swimming, recreational sports, jogging, and cycling.
- Strength training exercises, such as weight lifting, but limited only to lighter weights with fewer reps.
On the other hand, the following exercises should be avoided:
- Exercises that are highly reliant on the presence of carbs, as this is already one thing that you don’t have.
- Exercises that you haven’t even tried doing before under a normal diet.
- Circuit training.
- HIIT workouts.
How To Stay Safe Exercising While On The Keto Diet?
This last question is one of the most important ones that should be addressed. To stay safe while on a Keto diet coupled with exercise, it’s crucial to keep in mind a few pointers. If you can’t abide by these rules, then perhaps it’s best if you stay away from the Keto diet instead.
- Avoid exercises that require constant mental alertness. Keep in mind that your brain’s primary source of energy is glucose. You’ll have very little of this while on the Keto diet. This will decrease even more with exercise, resulting in mental fog. Thus, you need to stay away from exercises that require mental sharpness, such as biking on the highway, for instance. Soon enough, your body will get used to exercising, and your mental fog will decrease.
- Never under-eat. Make sure that your body still gets the proper amount of nutrients it needs to stay energized. Don’t be too strict about cutting down too many calories.
- Eat enough fat. Because you’re cutting down on sugars, this means that you need to compensate with the right amount of fat. To ensure that you’re still on the right track, ask the advice of a dietician or a medical professional.
Weight loss is becoming one of the most common goals people have at the start of every year. Many may have started with their own fitness routines, but there may also be those who are interested in trying out newer means, such as the Keto diet. With its many success stories, it should come as no surprise that it’s still highly in demand. While it’s possible to combine the Keto diet with exercise, always remember that nothing beats the professional advice of a doctor. Always seek one whenever you’re doubtful.