Low Carb Beef Casserole
A hot low carb beef casserole is perfect for cold and dark winter nights. It’s a dish that acts as a great vehicle for vegetables and a way to use lots of left over foods in the fridge. I have put a few examples in this recipe, but feel free to be creative. I may add kale, beans, cabbage etc – it really varies depending on what we have at home at the time!
This is my type of cooking too – low effort, low maintenance and easy to perform. A few ingredients, one pot, hardly any washing up and most importantly, really, really healthy. You can get this meal prepped in 10 minutes, leave it in the oven and go off and get on with your day for the next 4 hours!
So, here is how to cook low carb beef casserole…
- Stewing beef (cuts such as ox cheek, skirt, brisket etc)
- Stock Cubes
- Chop the garlic and onions and fry in a little oil or butter until soft.
- When the onions are soft, chop the beef into chunks and add to the pan – fry until brown.
- At this point chop the carrots into inch-long chunks and add to the pan along with a good few stalks of thyme. Fry for 3-5 minutes to add flavour.
- Mix up the stock and add to the pan, covering the ingredients. Bring to the boil for 2-3 minutes before reducing to a simmer. At this point add the lid to the pot and put in a 150 degrees centigrade oven. (If you like red wine in your casserole, this is the stage to add it).
- After 3.5 hours in the low oven, add the Broccoli and peas and stir into to capture flavour. Return to the oven for another 30 minutes with the lid back on.
- Serve and enjoy….
As I said earlier, experiment with the vegetables you use and the cuts of meat. This particular dish contained braising steak as the meat, but there are lots of other cuts. You can use the cheaper cuts too – slow cooking them turns them into something special!
Ignore recipes that tell you to cook the meat for 2-2.5 hours – the meat doesn’t have time to break down and become tender. Keep it in a low oven for a long time – AT LEAST 3 hours, preferably 4 and the meat will be fall-apart tender.
This is low carb beef casserole is a great way to increase your vegetable intake and really help yourself on the way to weight loss. It tastes amazing and is perfect for anyone looking to drop a few lbs of fat!