Athletes and fitness enthusiasts usually complain of a new injury without changing their training habits. Many are puzzled about the source of new pain without apparent cause. However, keep in mind that shoes play an important role in your overall physical performance, and the quality of a pair of shoes can degrade with frequent use. Any wear and tear could lead to unstable foot structure, which may significantly affect performance and workout results.
This is why it’s crucial to wear good shoes when working out. Below are the important reasons why you should have a good pair of workout shoes:
Sustain Intense Training
If you’re serious about working out or exercising, your routine may usually involve full-body exercises, which include strengthening training, cardio, aerobics, weights, and intense training. Fitness enthusiasts, like The Fitness Tribe, would agree on the value of having a good pair of exercise shoes since the feet bear all the body’s weight during exercising.
It’s important to get a new pair of shoes if yours are more than six months old, and if you wear them for exercising or training three to four times a week. Choose high-quality shoes with premium materials and superior craftsmanship to ensure proper fit and long-lasting use, most especially if you’ll be using them for regular workouts to achieve a perfectly fit body or for athletic training.
Achieve Balance and Stability
When performing any exercise, balance and stability training are important. A few examples include standing on a pillow or rolled yoga mat and performing an exercise with one leg. The benefits of balance and stability training include lower back pain relief, a stronger core, and good posture. Usually, the recommended balance and stability training is twice a week.
Because this type of training demands attention and core activation, you need good training shoes that won’t easily give up while you’re balancing with only one leg. Even for a simple walking shoe, you need features to ensure stability. The make and construction of a shoe creates a big difference in its function and proper fit.
Here are the features and benefits of a good pair of training or workout shoes:
- Foam, air, or gel midsoles reduce impact and cushion the foot when it strikes the ground. Gel pads or roll bars are some of the best features that provide cushioning and stability.
- An Achilles’ tendon protector helps reduce the stress on the Achilles’ tendon. It locks the shoes around the heels.
- Proper fit and ankle cushion is what a heel collar provides. It prevents foot injuries, such as a sprain and strain.
- The upper part can be made of mesh, man-made or synthetic material, or leather, holding the shoes on the feet. Mesh material is lighter in weight and allows for better ventilation than other materials.
- The insole supports and cushions the arch and the foot. Removable insoles are also available, which can be taken out to dry or laundered between walking sessions.
- The outsole has threads and grooves that come in contact with the ground, which helps in maintaining traction for stability and balance, as well as speed and right movements.
- The toe box is a feature that provides space for your toes to prevent calluses.
Prevent Injury Wearing Good Workout Shoes
Have you ever felt that your fitness or workout shoes are against you? Wearing sneakers or training shoes that don’t fit properly or have the incorrect size usually leads to injury. Ill-fitting shoes may cause foot pain and damage. This may also lead to injury or damage to your nails, worsen hammertoes and bunions, and even cause heel pain, stress fractures, and tendinitis.
Here are some tips when buying a new pair of workout shoes to ensure a proper fit to avoid injury:
- Don’t Stick to Your Usual Size: Many people are used to buying the same shoe size every time. However, different manufacturers have varying shoe sizes. It’s important to try on a pair of shoes without getting attached to the size.
- Buy Later in the Day: Shop for a new pair of shoes in the afternoon or before evening when your feet are swollen to ensure that you get the right fit for a wider forefoot, most especially if you have bunions or hammertoes.
- Basic Features: The basic features you need to look for in a new pair of workout shoes are shock absorption, arch support, and cushioning. In that way, your feet are protected during higher impact or intense activity. Whether you’re into weightlifting, running, biking, hiking, or any forms of workout, wearing good shoes will ensure that you’ll be at your best performance.
By choosing good training shoes, you’ll achieve more balance, stability, strength, and maximum workout performance. Also, it will help avoid injury because your feet are adequately cushioned, supported, and protected. Wearing high-quality shoes will result in a more successful workout routine so you can achieve your health and fitness goals.